Good Food & Wine Show - Part 1 @ Thursday, June 20, 2013

9th Sunday June



Last Sunday we went to the 'Good Food & Wine Show' we were going to meet at 9.30, well that didn't happen. :P I was dreaded lining up, as it's awesome skipping the line when you're staff (as most expos I attend I'm actually working at). 


Arriving at 11am there was no line, and we didn't miss anything. We arrived just as St Dalfour were handing out cute little samples. Interesting I had a dream about mini jam jars the other day, didn't see what brand they were though. 

Did you know St Dalfour does chocolate & co. sauces? They taste funny though, flavoured. If I had to have a chocolate spread I'd go with the Milky Bar spread. I do love their berry jams though. 

As it was not a treasure hunt we had no plan and decided to check out everything, though it was partly planned as I had a list of stuff to look for and classes to attend.




The first stall on my list was 'Sovereign Hill', which is one of Victoria's most popular tourist attractions, it's pretty much dusty goldfields town in the 1850-60s, they have a main street, horses and carriages, and people in costume! I'd like to go there one day. On main street is a candy store that sells old fashioned candy, including Raspberry Drops. :) 



Something I look for at each expo I go to is the prettiest stall. Last year it was a wine business that had damask wallpaper and a black chandelier. This year it was 'Soleil Lychee Beer' aka Lychee infused beer. Jas said it was weird, while I said it smells pretty :P. 



A bit of wandering and we come across Wilton, they're all about cake deco. Once I took a cake deco class, it was very cool, though I learnt fondant is for deco only. 



I've always wanted one of these cakes, though it's more of a novelty factor. When I was a child Barbie dolls were expensive, around $50 each and they didn't sell them for $10 at the supermarket. Back then it was all about fairytales and not pop princesses in mini skirts with a possibly gay bf.  



Didn't like this dress, the purple bit is weird. Not too sure about this design,
 it would look better with more purple, to make it look like an underskirt. 


Pretty butter frosting flower, love these. 


I think that's a lady bug.


Picture of the Month?


A Styrofoam 'Under the Sea' cake. 

Should we get a Styrofoam wedding cake? While fondant looks amazing no one's going to eat it (including me), and we prefer buttercream. But the later can't do what fondant can. 



At the Maggie Beer stand I wanted to get their grapefruit soda aka 'Sparkling Ruby Cabernet' in fancy words (14.00) but me, glass and long distance don't go too well together. 



There was a small stall that rented out furniture for kid's parties, and they had some nice props.




Part 2 & 3 Coming Soon...



Blogger Cabaret said... on June 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM  

Fun fact regarding the dolly varden cakes, they're not your toy Barbie dolls, they are just the torsos with a long spike coming out of the bottom so they can sit in the cake correctly.
My Mum used to do cake decorating, so we had a few of the dolly varden tops lying around the house.


Blogger Charlie said... on June 21, 2013 at 9:59 PM  

Oh wow that'll be a traumatic experience when the kid sees that. XD Is it this? http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/7/2/6/9/4/webimg/479475354_o.jpg


Blogger Cabaret said... on June 22, 2013 at 8:34 PM  

Yep, exactly like that.
Also interesting is that old ones that you don't plan on sticking in cakes any more make very good hairpieces for crazy hair days at school.

Post a Comment

Previous Posts ~ More Recent Posts