Mad Mex - Flinders Lane @ Friday, August 02, 2013



My first experience of Mexican food at Mad Mex was earlier this year, with the opening of a branch at Southern Cross Station. Soon other stores popped up around the city, and then finally one within hundreds of meters of the office. It's always a bit scary trying new things, the idea of going in not knowing what to order.



Burritos were what I first picked. Quite difficult to get a picture of, as there's no focal point and it's difficult to take pictures with one hand. Huge wraps, I wasn't sure how to eat them neatly, even though they had instructions printed on serviettes. I ordered burritos a few times, then one day decided to get the naked burrito. Brilliant, as I could eat it with a spoon and not get it everywhere. 

- picture - 

Naked Burrito 11.00
In a bowl (no wrap). Chicken & Mild Salsa.
Black beans, brown rice, cheese, lettuce & sour cream. 



Nachos 11.50Tortilla Chips with Melted Queso Cheese, 
Black Beans, Sour Cream & Jalapenos

The difference between the two is that one has tortilla chips, the other has rice. I always get Chicken & Mild Salsa. Tried beef before and it wasn't as nice. We enjoyed both dishes, and would recommend them. Though personally I feel as though nachos is a dish to be shared between two, whereas a naked burrito is lunch at the park or office. Also with nachos you have to eat fast, or the nachos under the stuff will go soggy. Note that the base of the cardboard box gets soggy too if you eat as slow as me. 

Whenever I'm eating in I always go to the Flinders Lane branch, which is always busy during lunch. They have interesting light displays there.



Have you tried Mad Mex?


Mad Mex on Urbanspoon



Blogger Kacie said... on August 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM  

I've never eaten at one. Mexican franchises seem to be the new thing. The founder of boost juice has started one up also!.. popping up everywhere!


Blogger Charlie said... on August 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM  

I've tried Salsa's a couple times, didn't like it as much - however they do have a membership card that gives you a free burrito on your birthday. ;)


Blogger RMIT Newintstudents said... on August 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM  

Have you been to Fonda Mexican in Richmond? They do the best Mexican so far.
They may be a tad bit out of the way for you but you could always do a dinner date there as they have these huge burritos and other foods.

xo: newintstudents blog


Blogger Charlie said... on August 18, 2013 at 7:23 PM  

*adds it to my urbanspoon wishlist* I haven't been to Richmond in years, but I'll be sure try it on a day off. :) Thanks for the recommendations.

Post a Comment

Previous Posts ~ More Recent Posts