Puma's Glow Run - Melbourne @ Friday, April 26, 2013


Puma's Glow Run. What is it exactly? You pay $60 to run/walk 5km and then there's DJs and very very loud music. You also get a free burger from Grill'd, a t-shirt, headband and glowstick (also sold for $5 each). IMO you're getting ripped off, though this is an event I did not enjoy the slightest. That and Puma's doesn't actually support a charity, and most events I work at are for charity/NFP.

People say if you're saying it's too loud and needs to be turned down you're getting old. Yeah no. I'm not the clubbing type, never have been, never will be. What constitutions as a good night for me is dinner and a show, like the opera. I don't like to wear tight short clothing, grind up against anyone and listen to music I can feel pulsing through me - in an invasive manner. 'Rape by Music' is what my George calls it. 



We signed in and received tags and the event shirt (fluro pink or yellow) to glow under the 'black light'. I was stationed on registrations and learnt how to use the eftpos machine. I don't believe in credit cards, as you spend more when you're not physically handing over cash, and so I've never learnt how to use one of these things. The woman in charge was meh, though I didn't like her. People kept leaving trash on the table, so I stuck a sign to the table telling them the table is not a bin, and the bin is behind them. Got told off for doing that. Towards the end of sign-ups there was trash everywhere and guess who cleaned it up? We did. This would not have happened if we were firm with them. This is the messiest event I've been to. 


These aren't activated, they only look so under the black light.
$5 Glow Sticks anyone? This event is a rip off. 

After sign-ups were over we were sent to the starting line to dissembling all the signs, posts and banners. It was dusty and dirty. The thing about events when you're at the bottom of the hierarchy is that it's not glamours at all. Just a lot of hands on work. And no one cares about your health problems such as lifting restrictions or allergies to dust. This is one of the reasons I hate events. Some days are better than others in this industry. The guy in charge of that area wasn't any better than the woman in sign-ups. 

I finished at 8.30 though didn't leave till 9.15 as I didn't know, they said we should have known, but I was not given the info. Others weren't so lucky and had to stay till the very end of the event.



The starting line was too far away to get a picture of.
Taken before the event. 

This has been possibly the worst event experience I've ever had due to the way I was treated, and the event itself. It was like a nightclub, but outdoors and much much louder. It was so loud I could still hear it with my earplugs in, and not only could I hear it, I could feel it flowing from my head to toes. I hate this modern crap, and never listen to it. Not my type of event, I'm too old for this stuff. My idea of music is strictly classical and opera, where I don't feel the music (though jas does - but even then it's in a good way) and it does not invade and trash my soul.





Blogger Kay HermosaVogue said... on April 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM  

That looks like so much fun! (despite the cost)


Blogger Unknown said... on April 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM  

i know what you mean, i arrived late.. was sent to the starting line, to a group of people that didn't know what they were doing.. just stood at the starting line for ages.. enthusiasm dropped each time a group went off.. i should have just left after i got the tee, they didn't even care.. after i tried to help pack up with the tiny pliers they gave i just left. never volunteering again !


Blogger Charlie said... on April 30, 2013 at 12:07 AM  

Glad I'm not the only person who felt that way. Some days you love events others not so much. I'd highly recommend volunteering for Oxfam and the Cancer Council events (Daffodil in Aug, Pink Ribbon in Oct) as I've always had great experiences with them, and everyone's really nice and makes you feel appreciated. :)


Blogger Krissy said... on May 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM  

That actually seems like it would be fun to participate in!

But sucks that you were treated so poorly as a helper :(

Post a Comment

Previous Posts ~ More Recent Posts