Fonda Mexican - Richmond @ Wednesday, December 18, 2013


Fonda Mexican is just a short walk from Richmond Station. From the platform heading out of the city, go left and towards the 7 Eleven, it's on the block diagonally opposite. I was quite excited about going here.  



Arriving around 6.30pm-ish it was busy, noisy though not crowded - yet. 




Strange lighting... but that other room did look a bit darker. 


Seating, there's out front (smoker's zone) inside (tables and bar style ones) and the courtyard, where we sat (it was less noisy out here, plus great lighting for pictures).



The deco was colourful, cheap and cheery I'd say. But everything looked clean and modern, lots of pops of neon colours. I like it. Not the semi-dead plants that jas says are cactus plants though. 



The Mexican trend might be over, but I've never actually had Mexican food (if you don't count MadMex). I've made a week's worth of breakfast burrito - American style which nearly killed us (sausage, egg, hash browns, salsa). But I've never had tacos hard or soft, though Fernando predicts I like them hard. ;)  




Horchata (Drink) $6
Rice, water, cinnamon, vanilla, evaporated milk

I was very interested in trying this drink. Heard good things about it. Tastes familiar, some sort of asian candy? Eggnog-ish? I do like eggnog. Jas takes a sip (not with my straw) and pin points it immediately: that eggnog ice cream we had at Helados Jauja. This was great, highly recommended, we'll both be getting this next time. 

I love it when I know exactly what I'm getting or almost. We both had the char grilled corn, then he had the beef buroito and beer, while I had the fish & beef taco and horchata.  



Charred Corn $4.50
Chipotle aioli, ricotta salata, lime

Needs to be a bit more charred we both think, Jas quite liked it, while I prefer Mamasita. Note that Jas has not had the one at Mamasita. He recommends patting the ricotta salata (cheese) down, while I licked it...



12" Burrito - Chopped Beef $14.5
Beef/pork burger, black beans, salsa roja, chipotle aioli

Jas had this and he liked it. Though he wished he'd gotten a taco, observed the colour difference between what we ate. There's always next time.



Tacos! I've never had tacos before.


Fish Taco - Rockling $7
6" Soft Taco. Chipotle aioli, pickled carrot/onion, cabbage

Oh wow this was very good! Their best seller, when we come back we're getting this. The sauce makes the taco soft relatively fast (I had the corn first) so perhaps have the tacos first. Also as the fish is lighter than beef I had that first. 



Braised Beef Brisket Taco $6
Dark beer, lime, poblano, jicama

Rich and spicy with poblano pepper. This one isn't on their online menu... Didn't eat the pepper as it looked strange (nowadays I do eat a lot more greens, but not unknown things). This was very good, lots of flavour! So glad I had the fish first, this one would have taken over my taste buds for a while. By the way, you can't taste the beer. 



Very friendly staff, fun deco, what's not to like? It was a Tuesday but when we left around 7.20pm the place was full, very popular with friends for drinks and dinner after work. Service was very fast. It was very noisy inside, so I'd recommend come earlier, they're open from 12pm for lunch and don't close between then and dinner. 

Oh and it's possible that the tacos will drip, so don't wear white (like me) and hover above the plate. Also best to only go with friends (who know you're a messy eater :P) and not with a date... Dripping sauces and corn isn't a good idea. Expect to spend around $25 per person (including a drink). If you're going for tacos get two-three as your main. 

Here's a recipe for the Horchata, which I'll be trying. When I make it successfully I'll share it with you all.



Do you like Mexican food? What's your favourite place? 

Fonda Mexican on Urbanspoon



Blogger Unknown said... on December 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM  

Their guacamole was aaaaamzing.


Blogger Charlie said... on December 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM  

If only I wasn't allergic to avocados. :P


Blogger MontgomeryFest said... on December 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM  

oooooo how I love Mexican food...particularly of the Tex Mex variety (cheese, avocado, cheese, cheese..) the colors in this restaurant are darling!!

Post a Comment

Previous Posts ~ More Recent Posts