Lunch at the Beach @ Friday, April 13, 2012

Today was a wonderful day, the sun was shinning, 25 degrees (c), no wet & windy weather (unlike last week at the island, will post about that after I go through the pictures) and I was wearing yellow. My favourite satin & chiffon dress, paired with a blazer and gold glittered bow broach. Overdressed according to H. We went out for lunch by the seaside, but didn't go venture onto the sand because I didn't bring a hat... When I read the location: Albert Park, I pictured Albert Park lake, the one by MSAC, and not by the sea.

Click on it to make it bigger.

Arriving at 12.30pm for lunch on a Friday, the restaurant was empty save for three others. And so to our advantage we got to choose our place, by the window with the view of the beach across the road.


We started off with drinks, lemon lime bitters, and then I ordered the Eye Fillet (300gm). How do I like it? Medium. It was tender and perfectly cooked. Under the fillet was a baked field mushroom which I didn't touch, don't like mushroom, other than for flavour. But the potato gratin was amazing! It's thinly sliced layers of potato with butter & cream, with a lovely golden crust on top. And accompanying the dish was a small jug of béarnaise sauce, a traditional classic French sauce for steak (made from a reduction of butter, vinegar, and wine mixed with tarragon and thickened with egg yolks). It was very nice, though for $32 it could have been improved on presentation, with a spring of parsley. And I would add two baby carrots with the greens. Overall it was lovely and recommended.

Eye Fillet with Baked Field Mushroom & Potato Gratin, Béarnaise Sauce

Meanwhile H had the Char Grilled Lamb loin, enjoyed it, though he didn't like the Moroccan cous cous, and neither did I - though it was just our personal preferences. It was his first experience with cous cous (a type of North African semolina made from crushed durum wheat), and my second. It's like grains that you soak in water, it absorbs it and then you use a fork to make it fluffy. In this case it was spiced, a little hot, but then raisins were added to balance the flavours and add the Moroccan flavours.

Char Grilled Lamb Loin with Moroccan cous cous,
Roasted Cherry Tomato’s, Gremoulata, merlot jus

Service was very friendly and top standard, which only enhanced the experience of dinning at The Beach - Albert Park. On top of that it's also at a great location, by the sea, with easy access to public transport, from Stop 13 @ Flinders just take no. 1 South Melbourne Beach to the last stop, no.32. Highly recommended for a lunch out with friends or your partner. We might return :). P.S. We bought this deal, so together for the two drinks and mains it was a total of $30. And though this restaurant a bit pricey, they do have specials, mainly pub food.

After lunch we took the tram back to the city and went shopping, for coats. The one I like is a. sold out b. didn't actually come in my size anyway, so I'm getting a custom made. H got a burger, as he says his meal wasn't as filling as mine - plus because I'm a slow eater I actually taste the food :P. And to conclude our trip we stopped by for doughnuts, $8 for a dozen original glazed doughnuts, their classic.



Post a Comment

Previous Posts ~ More Recent Posts